William Smith Group 1832 has a history which dates back over 185 years. A family run business, we have diversified in many different and unexpected ways.
Life did exist before we became one of the UK’s largest distributors of self-adhesive vinyl. Our very first invention, a horse-drawn mechanical street sweeper, paved the way for us to adapt and grow, evolving as a manufacturer of snow ploughs, tar sprayers, mobile cabins to a modern and innovative business which services the sign and graphics industry in the current day.
Key milestones of William Smith…
- Became a limited company
- Partnership with 3M began
- Became the first company to invest in plotters
- Offered pre-spaced letters and logos for the first time
- Scotchprint graphic sales peaked 1998
- Media and other consumable sales began to see a significant rise in 1999
- Material distribution became the core of our business
- In 2005 we became the sole UK distributor of the ROLLSROLLER applicator
- HP Latex print technology launched in 2009
- Increased hardware range with more printers, cutters and laminators
- Company introduces late evening ordering up until 6pm
- In 2015 we launched an ecommerce website, providing customers with access to products at the click of a button
- Our partnership with Arlon began 2011
- We started distributing VION in 2015
- Global manufacturer Avery Dennison become a partner of William Smith
- A new warehouse with treble capacity is built on the outskirts of Barnard Castle
- The company launches the Smith brand to sit alongside the already existing William Smith distribution arm
- The company diversifies into architectural markets and launches the Architextural brand as a result
- Because of growth and the various markets the company operates in it launches William Smith Group 1832
- William Smith Group 1832 rennovates the old factory and turns it into a dedicated training facility.